36th Annual Penn Center
Heritage Days Celebration
November 8-10, 2018
Heritage Days Celebration is a three-day cultural event celebrating the Gullah/Geechee/Sea Island history, folk arts, food, music, crafts and West African cultural legacy.
Located at Penn Center—formerly the Penn School, one of the first schools for formerly enslaved Africans and their descendants living on St. Helena Island—visitors can experience the unique setting of the 50-acre historic campus of Penn Center.
Special events for the weekend include demonstrations of West African/Gullah cultural connections, including:
- Live demonstrations of sweetgrass basket making and net making
- Gullah storytellers and re-enactors
- Singers, African drummers, and dancers
- Educational Symposium
- Center stage entertainment
- A craft fair, parade, fish fry, and old school jam
- Youth & Family Day with lots of educational "fun fuh de chillun and famlee" (fun for the children and family). Click here for vendor and registration details.
SELECTED Highlights from past Heritage Days celebrations:
For 2018 sponsorship opportunities, please contact us at at (843) 838-2474 or send an email to email@example.com. To expedite processing, please include "2018 Heritage Days" in the subject line of your email.